Thursday, August 9, 2012

No Pins Involved!!!

The Nappy Lady workshops are not just about nappies and you can be assured there are no pins involved! 

Sure we talk about cloth nappies and what awesome alternatives are available to modern parents today, how they all work and how to choose the right one for your baby.  Parents and expecting parents will also learn how to wash cloth nappies with the least effect on the environment, fabric options and cost savings. 

But with the title, 'Waste Free Parenting" there will be education included in the workshop about how to reduce your overall household waste with a small baby in the house.   With consumerism and living in the fast lane, and convenience items everywhere we look, it is no wonder a baby will increase the households rubbish by at least 50%.  You only have to see how many one use items we are encouraged to buy and use to make life go faster and keep up with our busy schedules. 

I believe everyone can be sustainable and make a difference in some way without it costing a fortune or being time consuming, you just need to take baby steps and you will succeed.  I was one of the worst waste contributors before we had our son and now even though I am incredibly busy I am sustainable at home, not perfect, but I am doing my best and making a difference in my own backyard.  I have worked with many local councils to get parents what I refer to as their first step to sustainable parenting, a trial pack of cloth nappies.  This is what started my personal journey to sustainability and I want to help other parents to make smart choices too.

The workshops cost $20 per couple or person attending on their own and for the investment the council and / or my sponsors (depending on the workshop) have funded a trial pack that the parents can keep.  Expecting parents, any parents / caregivers with children still in nappies (up to 17kgs) can attend and get their pack.  Midwives and antenatal educators are also welcome to attend for free but they will not receive a free pack.

To book they just need to head to http://www.thenappylady.co.nz/workshops.asp

No comments :